Oviposition site of Megalurothrips sjostedti (fryb.) (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) on cowpea flowers: Short note

OKWAKPAM, B.A

ABSTRACT: To establish the oviposition sites of Megalurothrips sjostedti (Tryb.), five different parts of cowpea flowers were sampled for eggs. Before examination, the flower parts were boiled in lactophenol to make them transparent. The investigation revealed a very high percentage (94.2%) of the total number of eggs in the calyx tube of the cowpea flower indicating that M. sjostedti oviposits mainly on the calyx tube. The remaining eggs (5.8%) were found in flower petals.

Download PDF