Larviposition and emergence pattern in a laboratory colony of Glossina palpalis R-D (Diptera: Glossinidae)

TENABE. S.O.

ABSTRACT: The objectives of this investigation were to determine the peak of puparia production from a
colony of Glossina palpatis palpalis fed on guinea pigs and the cut-off time when most of the female emergence occurs from different weight classes of puparia of the same age. The results indicated that 67.5% of the total puparia production occurred between 6 a.m. and 6 p.rn., while the remaining 32.5% occurred in the dark period. The peak of puparia production occurred between 12 noon and 6 p.m. during which 69% of the production between 6a.m. and 6 p.m. took place (i.e. 46.8% of the total production). The cut-off time that could be recommended. for irradiation treatment of male puparia was 12 noon on the 34th day after larviposition. At this time about 90% of the females had emerged leaving behind mainly puparia, comprising 84-87% of the remaining viable puparia. The significance of these results is discussed in relation to tsetse control strategy involving the use of the Sterile Insect Technique, for G. p. palpalis,

Download PDF